101 in 1001
UPDATE (3 November, 2014): Below you will find a list of things that I attempted to accomplish in the 1,001 days between 26 November, 2010 and 24 August, 2013. While the list was not completed within the time constraints, I have continued to work on this list. This list is currently up to date on completed tasks and I am working on another 101/1001 list to replace it when it’s done.
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on your part).
Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past – frequently simple challenges such as New Year’s resolutions or a ‘Bucket List’. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips, study semesters, or outdoor activities.
Start Date: November 26, 2010
Finish Date: August 24, 2013
- In Progress
- Abandoned — No consequence.
- Not Started
Go to NYC. (12/27/11 – 1/3/12 with my aunt Margaret.) Visit Ben in London(03/18/2014 – 03/23/2014.)
- Learn how to play tuba.
- Meet my Weight Watcher’s goal.
- Start reading the “100 books to read before you graduate” list. (7/100)
Visit a state I’ve never been to.(New York state.)
- Put away $10 for every item on this list completed.
Take a road trip with friends.(2/16/ 12. Winnipeg, Canada with Jackie and Austin to see Simple Plan.)
- Contact S.M. and find out the real reason we stopped talking.
Write an article for the Advocate. Refine my “Lucy and Kyle” story.(Re-written as “Only She Knows the Trouble I’ve seen.) Send a secret to Postsecret.
- Tie a note to a balloon and let it go.
See the Northern Lights.(01 June, 2013, outside my parents’ house.)
- Attend a film festival.
- Attend a book festival.
- Get checked for skin cancer. (I have yet to find a reason on my skin to get checked for it yet.)
- Leave ten “you are beautiful” notes in clothing in stores. (0/10)
Spend an entire day playing COD, Halo, and/or Bioshock with Eric and/or Chad.([12/30/10] Alright…so this was kind of a fail. I played COD with Eric for less than an hour. Something about “Nazi Zombies” scared the fuck out of me! I’m still counting it, though. Cuz I played COD with Eric. Close enough.) Kiss in the rain.
- Color an entire coloring book.
- Dress up in drag for a midnight showing of RHPS.
Learn to drive a stick-shift. (Mishayla offered her car on 11/5/10)
- Go to the roller derby in Fargo.
Visit five different museums. (5/5)(Plains Art Museum and Hjemkomst Center 3/12/11. The MET 12/29/12. The Guggenheim 1/2/12. The Seattle Art Museum 05/24/13.)
- Ride the Wobegon Trail from Avon to Freeport again. (It’s been four years.)
Go back to the Minnesota Renaissance Fair(09/13/2014). Attend the Irish Fair.(I went to Ireland in 2012 and called it good.) Do yard work for someone.(I did all of the planting and weeding for my mum for my sister’s grad party.) Learn to knit.(November 26, 2011. I started to knit a scarf.)
- Have an all out Nerf gun war with someone.
- Ride in a limo.
Sleep outside under the stars without a tent.
- Listen to every single song that The Beatles sang.
- Watch all of the Burt Reynolds films.
Write an opinion to an article and submit it to the Cold Spring Record.(Became a full-time opinion writer for The Advocate Fall Semester 2012.)
- Buy a nice camera.
Get my lip pierced.(2/25/11 at Tank’s Tattoo) Send flowers to someone(Nov. 2014 to Justin Nistler).
- Inspire someone to start their own 101 in 1001 list.
Donate $10 for every item on this list not completed at the end of 1001 days. (I donated to 4 different charities during the stupid ALS ice bucket challenge in 2014 with my own reasons for not donating for ALS research. I’m calling this one good.) Bake a cake for someone’s birthday.(10/29/11 I baked my godson Evan’s birthday cake. I didn’t frost it, but apparently I wasn’t specific enough in this list. I did bake it, however.)
- Wear my hair down for a week straight. (I got a job which requires my hair to be up.)
Donate a toy to Toys for Tots.(December 2012)
- Bake a pumpkin pie from scratch.
Go horseback riding. Limit sparknotes usage to one book for one class for a semester. (Using it after doing the official reading for further understanding of the text doesn’t count.) Write and send ten notes to people telling them how much they mean to me. (10/10)
- Take one photograph every day for a season. (i.e. The Autumn Solstice)
Either put money away or take out a loan for a Mac laptop (or a new one in general).(I was forced to buy a new computer in April after my old one crashed. The loan is from the National Bank of Mum and Dad. It’s a PC.) Make a decision: Mac or PC.(PC laptops, Mac desktops) Get another tattoo. (Harry Potter? Wanderlust?)(Alfred the swallow Jan 2013) Go for an entire week without putting make-up on. Start a blog. Buy a goldfish and name it Dorothy.(I got a cat instead. His name is Elliott) Copy Jenna and purchase The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook.(B&N, MOA, 6/16/11)
- Cook my way through said cookbook.
- Go for a week straight without spending money (dragon dollars don’t count) twice. (0/2) (Living on your own and not on campus makes this impossible.)
- Watch all six Star Wars films.
Spend an entire day speaking in an Irish accent. Graduate from Minnesota State University – Moorhead.
- Clean out my closet thoroughly at home.
- Make it to church every weekend for a month straight. (I’ve gotta start somewhere.)
Go to bed at or before midnight for a week straight.
- Read Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. (Purchased 10/21/10 from the Livingston Lord Library.)
- Watch all of the Batman films.
- Visit the Glensheen Mansion in Duluth.
Watch the sunrise and the sunset all in the same day. Start a legitimate journal.
- Wreck a journal.
Listen to every song in my iTunes library. Go for a weekend without my computer.(3/9/12 – 3/12/12) Go to Canada.(2/16/12 with Jackie and Austin.) Go out for sushi.(December 2011.)
- Read all of Edgar Allan Poe’s work.
Go to San Francisco.(05/28/13 with my aunt Kathryn.) Buy a pair of skinny jeans. Improve my posture.(This is always a conscious efforts.) Go to Underwater World at MOA and take my time looking at all the fish.(6/16/11 with Kellz.) Tell 10 strangers that they’re beautiful to their face. (10/10) Get an internship. Go to a zoo.(07/17/12 with a kid that I nanny. Red River Zoo.)
- Write a message in a public bathroom.
Find an inspirational quote and use it either in writing or in a personal photoshop piece.
- Write down all my bad memories on piece of paper. Burn said paper.
Make a wish at 11:11 p.m. on 11/11/11.
- Go up to Gramma and Grampa’s trailer.
Get a passport.(10/7/11 for my trip to Ireland in Spring 2012)
- Identify 100 things that make me happy.
- Go to a vineyard.
Write a letter to my future husband. Learn to change the oil in my car. Buy a new purse that I like.(4/22/11) Work on telling people how I really feel rather than keeping it all inside as a secret. Memorize the words to “Dog Days Are Over.” Recite a piece of own work in public.
- Go to adoration once.
Keep my room clean for a month straight.
- Read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown.
- See a production at the Guthrie Theatre.
- Write another 101/1001 list.
There is no order to this madness. Just based on adventure. ❤